Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Death Cafe

I am two months into the local Death Cafe.  I'd heard of the movement, but assumed it was a Portland or Austin thing...no way.  It's at the Bohemian Grange Hall!  The idea started in England (same place where Hospice started...are the Brits more touchy-feely than I imagine?) One of the "rules" is that tea and cake be served at all meetings.  Another is that it is monitored to stay on track and not turn into a support group, grief therapy, or educational workshop. It is discussion-driven and casual.  The subjects, under the singular and taboo umbrella of Death, are as varied as the attendees, and are always interesting.
My take-away has been the same thing both times...if I am to have a "good death", I need to start paying attention to my life.  And the connections I make now and as my life unfolds. And the work I do. And the intention with which I do it. And my relationships...and how I nurture them. A tall order indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment